Tuesday, July 9, 2013

quick fixes and easy answers


2 Kings 5: 1-14 

God has a great sense of humor. Admittedly we may not think it is so great when things are happening to us but never the less, it is easy to see some of God’s funny quirks as we read todays scripture. 
Here we have this powerful guy, Naaman.  He is rich, courageous, a mighty warrior, and a high ranking officer in the Aramean Army.  And yet, all that may come to an end because of a rash.  The version of scripture we read today calls it leprosy but there is a footnote in most Bibles that explains that it was probably something more like eczema or psoriasis. On any level, this big strong man may lose everything because of the social stigma associated with having a skin disease.  To make matters worse, no one in the “great” country of Aram knew how to fix it.

Where does the solution to this powerful man’s problem come from?  A young Israelite slave girl.  Her importance to society was the opposite of Naaman’s.  She was young, female, and not from the wonderful country of Aram.  What did she know?  And, what she suggests he do is go to a prophet in the weak, recently defeated in battle, non-influential Podunk town of Samaria. 
Instead of going to the lowly prophet like the slave girl suggested Naaman goes to the King.  We can see where Israel got its reputation at the time- the king is immediately frightened, weak, tears his clothes and goes into premature mourning.  

No one yet seems to recognize that the power does not belong to the king, or the nation.  It belongs to God.  I can just see Elisha just shaking his head, will they ever learn!  Send him to me- I will show him who is really in control.
Even though Naaman is full of self-importance, carrying riches and being followed by soldiers and servants, Elisha is not impressed.  He doesn’t even feel it is necessary to leave his meager house to greet this man.  Instead he sends a messenger with simple, easy to follow instructions.

Naaman however, isn’t quite impressed with Elisha either:  How dare he treat me this way! Doesn’t he know who I am and he wants me to do what? That river is NASTY!  No way! 
Naaman can’t see past his own sense of self-worth and dignity to lower himself to bathe in the Jordan.  Once again it is his lowly servants who talk some since into him. 

I hate to admit it, but I am a lot like Naaman .  I probably think more highly of myself than I should from time to time and I often want a quick fix to my problems.  I am sure I am not the only one.   Every time we turn the TV on there is a new pill for something, a new diet, a new gadget or cream that will make you as beautiful as the model endorsing it.  We want someone to wave a magic wand -we want all the Benny Hinn TV miracles to be real.  But rarely is this the way God works.
We don’t want to have to do anything or change anything to find healing in our life.  Sometimes the easiest solution is the hardest because it means we have to change, we have to do something, be different.

About 10 years ago, a new prescription weight loss pill came on the market.  I had been hearing about it on TV and when I went to my annual doctor’s appointment I talked with him about my concerns with my weight.  I was about 25 lbs heavier than I am today.  He entertained no thought about this new pill but told me I had a very common ailment; Fork to Mouth Syndrome.  He told me to eat right and exercise. 
It was the simplest answer to my problem but it was not what I wanted to hear.  I wanted to keep eating what I wanted and keep spending my evenings and weekends watching TV not exercising.  I didn’t want to change my lifestyle.  It took me a couple of years and failed attempts at other OTC pills and fad diets to realize he was right. 

Sometimes the simplest solution is the hardest.  Faith is the same way.  We are told repeatedly in the Bible that all we have to do is believe.  John 6:29- “The work of God is this: believe in the one he has sent”  John 3:16 “For who so ever believes in Him shall have eternal life.”  That is the simple answer to life’s big questions. Believe in God, Believe in Christ.  It is easy but we as humans are the ones who want to make it so difficult.  Somehow we feel like we should have to earn our salvation; either through good works, or status in the church and community.
But, Jesus made it clear when he ate with the lowliest members of society and broke the temple rules.   It is not what you have and it’s not following the rules and all the good deeds that make you right with God.  It is the believing that changes a person.  We don’t want to hold grudges; we want to be kind to strangers.  We don’t obey because the rules say we should, we obey because we are loved and it is because of that love that we want to be at peace with ourselves but also with others.  It is the love of Christ that changes us that makes us want to be better people.  

People can go through the motions of taking the “spiritual pill” being kind, generous, helpful, serving others, volunteering- whatever it is that makes a person feel better about themselves but it is believing in Christ that really brings peace, that really leads us to truly love others as Christ loves us and being able to fully forgive, engage and welcome others.  We are not better because of what we do.  We are made better because of what Christ did for us. 
God, the Almighty, Prince of Peace, Lord of Lords, Creator of all and worthy of worship and adoration showed us true love by humbling himself, coming to Earth in the form of a man, a helpless and vulnerable baby, child, teenager and persecuted prophet to show us how it is done.  It is about thinking less about us and more about others. 

Are you willing to truly believe; lay everything else to the side, allow yourself to put the obstacles of life out of the way and be changed by the love of Christ?  It is the hardest thing and the simplest thing all at the same time. 
To fully believe that Christ died for you and the person sitting next to you in the pew and even the person in front of you at Wal-Mart. Can you believe? Can you allow this belief to change you and make you better?  Having faith is not a reason to brag or be proud. Haaman left the waters of the Jordan a changed man, humble and blessed- forever believing in God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment